Pennon Water Services are the data controller, for the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act).
INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT ABOUT YOU
We may collect and process your personal data in the following ways:
- We may gather information about you in the course of providing a service to you. This will include for instance information we collect regarding your water consumption through meter readings.
- You may give us personal information by completing forms on our website or by communicating with us by phone, e-mail or other means. For instance, this may include information you provide when you sign up as a customer, subscribe to a service, register to use our online portal, participate in discussion boards or other social media functions on our website, and enter a competition, promotion or survey. The information you may give us could include your name, address, e-mail address and phone number, date of birth, financial and payment card information.
- Information collected when using our website. On each visit to our site we may automatically collect the following information: technical information, including the Internet Protocol (IP) address, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system, platform and your login information; information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
- We work closely with several trusted third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and may receive information about you from them.
- estimate our audience size and usage pattern;
- store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our site according to your individual interests;
- speed up your searches; and
- recognise you when you return to our site.
More detailed information on cookies can be found here.
You can also manage these small files and learn more about them from Direct Gov’s website.
DISCLOSURE & SHARING OF YOUR INFORMATION
We may disclose your personal information to any member of the Pennon Group, our ultimate holding company (Pennon Group Plc), and its subsidiaries. We may also disclose your personal information to our agents, partners, subcontractors and advisors.
We will use your personal data for the following purposes:
- to process and respond to requests, enquiries and complaints received from you;
- to provide products and services requested by you;
- to carry out credit checks where appropriate (for more information please see the section on credit checks below);
- to communicate with you about services provided to you;
- to process payments;
- to update our records;
- to analyse trends and profiles;
- for audit purposes;
- to carry out customer satisfaction research;
- to improve our products and services;
- to prevent or detect fraud;
- to resolve unpaid bills;
- where you have agreed that we may do so, to recommend products and services that we believe will be of interest to you or contact you about offers or other marketing promotions;
- to enable third parties to carry out any of the purposes above on our behalf.
We may share your personal data with third parties in the following ways:
- We sometimes use agents and service providers to process personal information on our behalf. For example, we use third parties to send postal mail, to process credit card payments, recover debts, and to maintain our IT systems. Where we use agents and service providers to process your personal information, we will ensure that they have adequate security measures in place to safeguard your personal information.
- We will release your personal information when we are required to do so for legal or regulatory purposes or as part of legal proceedings.
- We may give information we hold about you to third parties as part of the process of selling one or more of our businesses, in which case we may provide your information to a prospective buyer.
- When we carry out credit checks, we pass your information to credit reference agencies. This information may also be accessed by third parties who carry out credit checks on you. Please see the section below on credit checks for more information.
- We may pass your information to debt recovery companies for the collection of unpaid charges on our behalf.
- We will disclose your personal data if we are under a duty share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce our contractual rights and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- We may share information with advertisers and advertising networks or other carefully selected partners that require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others. We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to our advertisers, but we may provide them with aggregate information about our users. We may also use such aggregate information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target. We may make use of the personal data we have collected from you to enable us to comply with our advertisers’ wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience.
- We share information with analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our website.
- We may transfer your information to our group companies for the above and other purposes.
We share your personal information with credit reference agencies to maintain our customers’ records up-to-date, assess our customers’ debt risk and manage our debt collection process.
Information we give to credit reference agencies includes information held on your customer accounts with us such as your name, date of birth, address or other relevant information.
STORING YOUR DATA
In some circumstances, we may transfer your personal information to countries outside of the European Economic Area, where data protection safeguards are not as high as they are in the UK. If this occurs, we will ensure that adequate procedures are put in place to protect your personal information.
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data (relating to you as an individual) for any purposes, apart from in relation to our agreements with third-party debt-recovery and fraud prevention agencies. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by ticking the appropriate boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise this right at any time by contacting us.
ACCESS TO INFORMATION
The Data Protection Act gives you the right to access personal information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any subject access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
CHANGES TO YOUR INFORMATION
If you notice that any personal information that we hold about you is incorrect or not up to date, please let us know via our Contact Us page or by calling us on 0800 042 0347
Source for Business
PO Box 9136